Thursday, September 15, 2011

Homemade Diaper Wipes

I got this recipe from a friend. I've made 3 batches of wipes so far and they seem to work just as well as the Huggies brand. Sometimes I use 2 at a time for the messy diapers. I like the way they smell and love the fact that I know exactly what's in them.

You'll need a roll of good-quality paper towels (bargain brands won't hold up to the moisture). Cut it in half length-wise. This is most easily done with an electric knife but can be done manually.

For each half, you'll need to mix together 1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon of baby wash, and 1/2 tablespoon of baby oil. Put the half roll in an air-tight container and pour the water mixture evenly over it, making sure to wet the inner cardboard tube. Put the lid on and wait about 10 minutes. Turn the container over and wait another 10 minutes. The tube should now be soft enough to remove. If it's not, you can pour some more water over it and wait a few more minutes. Once the tube is out, you're ready to pull the wipes from the middle.

I use the Bounty Extra Soft and really like it. For mine, I mix up half as much again water/wash/oil mix to make sure the whole roll gets evenly moistened. I've read to not use a select-a-size type, but I have a friend who does and she just tears off 2 wipes for diaper changes and uses the single small wipes for hands and faces.

I also suggest finding a container that is easily opened and closed with one hand. The one I have has a thing on top that you pinch to release the lid. (I use empty Huggies wipe containers)

If you want to, you can make up both halves of the roll at the same time and they'll keep for awhile as long as they're in an air-tight container.

If you need a visual demonstration, there are tons of videos on Youtube showing how to make them.

Based on the ingredients I use, this is the general math:

1 59-sheet roll of Bounty Extra Soft paper towel: $1.60

1 tbsp Aveeno baby wash: $0.18 (based on $6.50 for an 18-oz bottle)

1/2 tbsp Target brand baby oil: $0.04 (based on $3 for a 20-oz bottle)

Total: $1.82 for 118 wipes = $0.015/wipe

Compare to $7.00 for 216 Huggies wipes = $0.033/wipe

1 comment:

  1. Very good to know. Hope I remember this when I birth me some babies!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a stay-at-home Mom. My husband Andrew and I have been married 6 years and have 3 beautiful children, JaneClaire, Silas and Rossin.